Friday, March 31, 2006

THE WOG AND THE POOH

Yesterday The Wog met Winnie the Pooh. I wish I had a picture to share, but I couldn't spare a hand--I was too busy defending Pooh from Polly, who was immediately entranced. Polly always reacts the same way when she sees a dog--her hands shake and she squeals with (over)-excitement. I'm not sure she even knows who Winnie the Pooh is, but she knows enough to know she loves a big, furry, semi-doglike creature.

We happened to be standing by the door when Pooh made his entrance. Polly immediately reacted with immense delight. Pooh waved in our direction and continued on to the main part of the room, where all the other children were lined up patiently to meet him. By this point, Polly was squirming and twisting in my arms so I put her down. And she took off! She crawled, wriggled, slid, and elbowed her way through the crowd until she was right at Pooh's feet. (I'm not sure he--or she, I suppose?--could even see her over the costume's giant Poohbear belly.) She then attempted to pull up on Pooh and raised her arms to be picked up. Needless to say when it came time to leave, I carried her, hysterically crying, out the door.

Here she is, at home and sad-eyed over having to leave her new friend.

No comments: